Esteem has been appointed as the delivery vehicle to undertake £1.5m improvement works to the existing North End Shipyard Dock Gates, Hull.
Working in partnership with Hull Maritime and our supply chain partners Spencer Group, the two-phase project will consist of structural improvements and repair to the dry dock gates, including the design of the new permanent solution to enable the berthing of the Arctic Corsair as a tourist destination.
The team is currently seeking approvals to progress with the initial discussions and contract-scheme development.
Gavin Barley, General Manager for Hull Esteem said;
“This is a new and challenging scheme in many ways, but a great opportunity for Esteem and the Spencer Group to work in partnership to regenerate one of Hull’s most important maritime treasures.
“We’re looking forward to being able to play our part in the much wider programme of works currently under development to create an exciting new maritime route that will guide visitors through the heart of the city.”
Phase one works will include;
- Site investigations
- Creation of watertight structure within the dock
- Reinforcing and repairing the structures to strengthen and prepare for the construction of the dock gate
- Developing of a permanent design for an entrance to the dock that will maintain the watertight integrity once the Arctic Corsair has been moved into position within the dock
Phase two will include;
- Construction of the designed solution to maintain integrity and watertightness of the dock
- Construction of a permanent dock wall behind stop logs
- Making area structurally sound
Completion is expected Spring next year and is just one part of Hull City Council’s major programme of maritime improvement works.
“The Maritime Project”, currently under development and delivery by the Major Projects and Infrastructure Team, will lead to the regeneration of the Arctic Corsair, North End Shipyard, Spurn Lightship, Dock Office Chambers, and the Hull Maritime Museum. Hull Maritime is funded by Hull City Council and The National Lottery Heritage Fund.